Winifred Glennon

For all discussions on Glennon Genealogy

Winifred Glennon

Postby JATrivett on Sun May 24, 2009 2:50 am

Hello,
I am trying to find information on my grandmothers family. She was the youngest child of John Doyle and Winifred Glennon Doyle who were married in Galway Ireland in 1887, arrived in New York 2 Nov 1887 and lived in Johnstown Pennsylvania and Doylestown Pennsylvania before moving to Queens New York. They had 11 children, my grandmother Alice was the youngest, born in 1911.
John Doyle had 3 brothers and 2 half brothers. Winifred had 3 sisters and 2 brothers.
If anyone has information or ideas on where to look for some of the Irish records, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks for any help.
Jessica
JATrivett

Re: Winifred Glennon

Postby frank on Sun May 24, 2009 9:02 am

Hello Jessica, Thanks for posting your message.
Winifred Glennon age 18 married John Doyle age 28 on 23rd November 1886 in the Parish of Gort Co Galway. His occupation was a Soldier and hers a Draper. The Husbands Father was stated as Luke Doyle and the Wifes as John Glennon. One of the witnesses was a Maria Glennon-possibly a relation.

The birth search on this Site provides a complete index of all births registered in the name of Glennon/variations from 1864 onwards. A search shows the birth of a Winefred Glinnane, Portumna, Co Galway 1869 and a Winifred Glynnane, Loughrea Co Galway 1866. There is also the birth of a Winifred Glanon 1870 Castlereagh Co Roscommon but her Father is stated as Patrick. Dont be put off by the difference in the spelling of the surname. Now that you have Winifreds age and the name of her Father check out the entries with the General Registry Office( GRO ) I will write separately with details how to do that.

Do you have any further information like the names of Winifreds siblings or her age reported in the US Census or on her Death Certificate(this might also confirm names of her Father/Mother) ?
frank

Postby JATrivett on Thu May 28, 2009 7:15 am

Hi Frank,
Thank you for your reply. Where did you find the information on the marriage? The only listing I can find states Gort and a date, but no information about their occupations.

My grandmother had said they were married and immediately left Ireland for the US because Winifred was disowned by her parents because John Doyle was in the English army. We were told Winifred was 19 (close enough) and John 24 (also pretty close).
From an interview with my grandmother that my mother did for a school project I have the following information:
Winifred had 2 brothers John and James and 3 sisters Marie, Livvy, and Maggie. Their parents ran a dry goods store in Galway.
John Doyle had 3 brothers, Luke, Michael and Dennis and 2 half brothers William and Edward when his father remarried after his mother's death.

I don't have their parents names, and I hope to get them when I get the copies of the death certificates which I have ordered from New York City.

Thanks again for all your help.
Jessica
JATrivett

Postby frank on Sat May 30, 2009 4:56 pm

Hi Jessica
The site indexes are due to be updated with additional information. The information I gave you came from the GRO. I will give you a scanned copy of the extract in the coming week All source information will eventually scanned and posted against each individual record.
At this point my guess( which I shouldnt do) is that Winefreds Parents were John Glennon and Mary Mc Dermott. The Death Certs hopefully will confirm this and we can take the research further.
You can obtain a birth/marriage/death certificate from the GRO http://www.groireland.ie For research purposes the same information(and less costly) can be obtained by ordering from the GRO a copy of the birth/marriage/death entry in the Register. About 4Euro an entry
The two births which may be of interest to you are as undernoted. I do not have info on these but you will find a little on the second record on http://www.Familysearch.org I have set out the references as you may wish to order same from the GRO
Winefred Glinnane District Portumna Volume 9 Page 504 Year of Book 1869
Winifred Glinnane District Loughrea Volume 19 Page 420 Year of Book 1866
frank

Postby frank on Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:24 pm

Hi Jessica,

Here's a copy of the Marriage Register entry for Winifred Glennon.

Hope this helps,

Frank
Attachments
winifredglennon_1886_marriage 001.jpg
winifred glennon 1886 marriage
winifredglennon_1886_marriage 001.jpg (88.2 KB) Viewed 925 times
frank

Postby JATrivett on Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:11 pm

Thank you Frank1 I think this might be their marriage certificate, although the age for John Doyle is incorrect. I found John's US passport application whihc lists his father's name as Luke. I am traveling right now but my mom said Winifred Glennon's death certificate arrived in the mail and listed her father as Micheal, but i haven't seen it yet. I'll be home on Friday and can take a look.
Thanks again for all your help!
Jessica
JATrivett

Postby lenari on Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:33 pm

Genealogy site where I can search for a family-tree with two particular surnames? Is there a family tree/genealogy website that allows you to search for family tree's that have two or more particular surnames in them? thanks in advance.

Return to General